Week 5: Focus on vitamins & minerals
TASK: Select a vitamin OR mineral and address the associated question(s). AVOID DUPLICATES–scan your peers’ posts before making your selection. To this end, be sure to label your subject heading with 1) the selected vitamin OR mineral and 2) if you are selecting a Deficiency OR Toxicity.
NOTE: To avoid duplicates create an empty discussion thread and place your vitamin/mineral title as a place holder. Come back later edit the thread you previously created with your information.
****Points will be deducted for duplicate topics.*****
Imagine/Pretend/Write a mini play starring you!
The premise of your story is….. You are attending your yearly health risk assessment. When you came to the appointment, you thought you had a proper diet and were of average health. It turns out, the doctor that examines you has a special interest in nutrition. She notices some inconsistencies with what you discuss with her and suggests that you may have a deficiency OR toxicity of your selected vitamin or mineral. Your post should include the following information:
- Based upon the vitamin or mineral that you have chosen, what were your doctor’s observations and diagnosis?
- Do you have a toxicity OR deficiency? Explain any disorders associated with the deficiency or toxicity.
- Briefly describe what your recommended daily allowance based upon your profile (sex, age, physical status, etc.) should be, your present intake estimate, and your action plan (adjustment in diet, etc.).
- If left untreated, what might be some of the more serious long term and detrimental effects this might have on your body?
- Which special populations (pregnant women, children, etc.) are most affected and why?
- What other prevention, treatment, and safety measures might be beneficial to regulate your health?
Please provide in-text citations and cite your sources in a reference list.