The use of media (how did different types of media influence the terrorist campaign?) by the Houthi insurgency (Yemen). Paper should be around 2,500 words. There is a book called Inside Terrorism (3rd edition) by Bruce Hoffman and I believe chapter 7 talks about the media so it’d be great if you could include it in the paper. Instructions are as follows:
1) You should use either footnotes or in-text citations, and the bibliography should follow APSA format. You’ll need to use, at minimum, 10 different sources for the final paper, including 5 academic sources. Note that shallow news articles from media sources such as cnn.com, ibtimes.com, usnews.com, history.com, or other encyclopedia-based sources **do not** count as academic sources. You may use these, but you will also need to use more substantial sources.
2) Please number the pages
3) Please do not use Wikipedia, Britannica.com, About.com, history.com, or any other encyclopedia-based source. These contain generic and watered-down information that can be found elsewhere in more rigorous and reputable sources.
Also, beware of bias in the sources you choose. This may not be a concern for many topics, especially those that occurred years ago, but may be an issue for more current or ongoing topics. For instance, you should be wary of getting information about from Pakistani terrorism from an Indian source, and vice versa. If you have any questions about whether a particular source is trustworthy, please don’t be afraid to ask.
Some good sources on terrorism and terrorist groups include, but are not limited to:
- The RAND corporation
- Foreign Policy magazine online
- The Economist
- International Crisis Group
- Center for Strategic & International Studies
- Carnegie Endowment
- The New York Times
- Quartz Africa
- Congressional Research Service reports
Tags: homeland security Journalism terrorism Sectarianism Houthi insurgency